Skip to main content
Top
Published in: International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2/2024

29-12-2023 | Linezolid | Research Article

Comparison of the incidence of nausea and vomiting between linezolid and vancomycin using claims database: a retrospective cohort study

Authors: Takezo Tsutsumi, Shungo Imai, Kenji Momo, Hitoshi Kashiwagi, Yuki Sato, Mitsuru Sugawara, Yoh Takekuma

Published in: International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy | Issue 2/2024

Login to get access

Abstract

Background

Nausea and vomiting during linezolid therapy have been reported as part of safety analyses in clinical trials. We have previously examined the incidence of vomiting during linezolid therapy (18.1%). A previous study conducted at a single hospital showed low external validity. It is necessary to verify whether these results can be reproduced using generalizable data sources.

Aim

To evaluate the incidence of nausea and vomiting during linezolid therapy compared with vancomycin using a Japanese claims database.

Method

Patients administered linezolid or vancomycin were selected from the database between January 2005 and June 2017. The primary endpoint was the comparison of nausea and vomiting between the linezolid and vancomycin groups. We conducted propensity score matching (PSM) to adjust for patient characteristics. To assess risk factors for nausea and vomiting, logistic regression was conducted as the secondary endpoint. We defined nausea and vomiting as the first prescription of antiemetics during linezolid or vancomycin therapy as a surrogate endpoint.

Results

In total, 1215 patients were enrolled. After PSM, the number of patients in the linezolid and vancomycin groups was 241. Nausea and vomiting were observed in 11.2% and 5.0% of patients in the linezolid and vancomycin groups, respectively (p < 0.05). Linezolid administration was extracted as a risk factor for nausea and vomiting (odds ratio, 2.09; 95% confidence interval, 1.02–4.30).

Conclusion

This study clarified the relationship between linezolid and nausea and vomiting using a Japanese claims database. Further studies are required to elucidate the unknown mechanisms of linezolid-induced nausea and vomiting.
Appendix
Available only for authorised users
Literature
1.
go back to reference Liu C, Bayer A, Cosgrove SE, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:e18–55. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciq146.CrossRefPubMed Liu C, Bayer A, Cosgrove SE, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in adults and children. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:e18–55. https://​doi.​org/​10.​1093/​cid/​ciq146.CrossRefPubMed
10.
16.
go back to reference Rybak MJ, Le J, Lodise TP, et al. Therapeutic monitoring of vancomycin for serious methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections: A revised consensus guideline and review by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, and the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2020;77:835–64.CrossRefPubMed Rybak MJ, Le J, Lodise TP, et al. Therapeutic monitoring of vancomycin for serious methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections: A revised consensus guideline and review by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, and the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2020;77:835–64.CrossRefPubMed
23.
go back to reference Katz, MH. Evaluating Clinical and Public Health Interventions: A Practical Guide to Study Design and Statistics. Cambridge University Press; 2010. [Japanese Edition] ISBN: 978–4–89592–757–4, pp. 105–6 Katz, MH. Evaluating Clinical and Public Health Interventions: A Practical Guide to Study Design and Statistics. Cambridge University Press; 2010. [Japanese Edition] ISBN: 978–4–89592–757–4, pp. 105–6
Metadata
Title
Comparison of the incidence of nausea and vomiting between linezolid and vancomycin using claims database: a retrospective cohort study
Authors
Takezo Tsutsumi
Shungo Imai
Kenji Momo
Hitoshi Kashiwagi
Yuki Sato
Mitsuru Sugawara
Yoh Takekuma
Publication date
29-12-2023
Publisher
Springer International Publishing
Published in
International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy / Issue 2/2024
Print ISSN: 2210-7703
Electronic ISSN: 2210-7711
DOI
https://doi.org/10.1007/s11096-023-01668-9

Other articles of this Issue 2/2024

International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2/2024 Go to the issue
Live Webinar | 27-06-2024 | 18:00 (CEST)

Keynote webinar | Spotlight on medication adherence

Live: Thursday 27th June 2024, 18:00-19:30 (CEST)

WHO estimates that half of all patients worldwide are non-adherent to their prescribed medication. The consequences of poor adherence can be catastrophic, on both the individual and population level.

Join our expert panel to discover why you need to understand the drivers of non-adherence in your patients, and how you can optimize medication adherence in your clinics to drastically improve patient outcomes.

Prof. Kevin Dolgin
Prof. Florian Limbourg
Prof. Anoop Chauhan
Developed by: Springer Medicine
Obesity Clinical Trial Summary

At a glance: The STEP trials

A round-up of the STEP phase 3 clinical trials evaluating semaglutide for weight loss in people with overweight or obesity.

Developed by: Springer Medicine
Webinar | 06-02-2024 | 20:00 (CET)

Mastering chronic pancreatitis pain: A multidisciplinary approach and practical solutions

Severe pain is the most common symptom of chronic pancreatitis. In this webinar, experts share the latest insights in pain management for chronic pancreatitis patients. Experts from a range of disciplines discuss pertinent cases and provide practical suggestions for use within clinical practice.

Sponsored by: Viatris

Developed by: Springer Healthcare